Does lavender help you sleep?
Numerous products, including bubble baths, bedding, and pillow sprays containing lavender, are marketed to promote relaxation and sleep. But is this reputation justified or just marketing hype?
This post will explore the effectiveness of lavender as a sleep aid and how to incorporate it into your routine.
The Science Behind Lavender as a Sleep Aid
Lavender is often regarded as the most dependable essential oil for sleep, supporting a peaceful night's rest. Scientific studies corroborate this belief, demonstrating that lavender can help individuals relax and experience a more restful sleep.
The Importance of REM Sleep
Sleep consists of several stages, one of which is rapid eye movement (REM) sleep. During the initial stage of light sleep, we begin to relax and prepare for deeper sleep while processing memories and fostering a healthy metabolism. Next, we enter slow-wave sleep, the crucial stage in which we recharge, repair, and awaken feeling refreshed.
REM sleep is characterized by vivid dreams, rapid eye movements, and an active brain that closely resembles wakefulness. This stage is essential for healthy learning, memory, and mood regulation. These stages cycle throughout the night, and lavender aids in achieving longer and more satisfying periods of deep sleep.
Methods for Using Lavender Oil to Improve Sleep
There is no single "correct" way to use lavender for sleep promotion. Various methods include:
- Administering a drop of lavender sleep drops under your tongue
- Spraying your pillow with lavender pillow mist
- Placing a bag of dried lavender or a scented candle near your bed
- Using a lavender-filled eye pillow
- Adding lavender essential oil to a diffuser
- Applying lavender essential oil to your skin (with a carrier oil)
- Drinking lavender tea
- Soaking in a lavender-scented bubble bath
- Inhaling steam from lavender essential oil-infused hot water to alleviate nasal congestion
Sleep Rituals and Techniques
To further enhance the benefits of lavender, consider incorporating the essential oil into these sleep-enhancing practices:
- Maintain a consistent sleep rhythm by going to bed and waking up around the same time each day.
- Allocate 30 minutes to wind down before sleep, avoiding electronics or using a blue light filter on devices.
- Incorporate sunlight exposure and exercise during the day to strengthen your circadian rhythm and improve overall health and mood, which in turn promotes quality sleep.
By adopting these habits, you can optimize your sleep quality without relying solely on lavender.
The Synergy of Lavender and CBD Oil
CBD promotes homeostasis, enhancing your natural sleep-wake cycle. A balanced sleep-wake cycle can help you feel more awake in the morning and fall asleep at night. Consequently, many sleep products combine both CBD and lavender.
Products containing lavender and CBD oil harness the power of the two most effective natural sleep aids. Unlike sleeping pills, they don't induce drowsiness or lose effectiveness with frequent use. Instead, they encourage a more natural sleep pattern by supporting your body's innate processes.
OTO CBD Oil Sleep Products
OTO's award-winning line of CBD oil products features CBD sleep drops and a CBD pillow mist, both of which contain lavender extracts to tackle sleeplessness from multiple angles.
In a survey, 83% of participants reported that regular use of OTO products helped them fall asleep and stay asleep more effectively.